Monday, August 30, 2010

A New Beginning


Many people have asked the question recently; Why Chicago? Why did you choose to go to a program in the United States, when you could go to a program in exotic foreign countries such as Spain, Tanzania, Morocco, New Zealand, etc? In lots of ways I completely understand where these people are coming from, because when you think of college you think of studying abroad somewhere where you have always wanted to travel and having the time of your life. So as my first blog, I thought it would be interesting to tackle that question and really think about why I choose to do this program.

First and foremost I know that I will travel throughout my life. Whether it be to visit long lost friends from United World College, or simply to explore the rest of the world I know I will do it. I know this because it is something I am passionate about, and so even if it breaks the bank later in life I will make it happen. Not only that but I plan on taking at least 1 year and maybe more after college before applying to graduate school. I have decided this both because of the advice I have gotten from lots of people, but also because I now have been in school for 15 straight years, and it will be 17 when I graduate, and I feel like it will be time for a break.

The other aspect of it as well though is that I felt like I wanted to take part in a program that would help me figure out what next path I might want to take after I graduate from CC. I believe that this program will allow me to explore paths and opportunities that are to great to pass up, and that is the main reason why I decided to do it. I am fascinated by urban culture, and love the feeling of having lots going around me at all times. Not only that but I really want to get a real glimpse into a society that has developed tremendously in lots of way, and examine both how the political culture as well as the legal culture have influenced that in both positive and negative ways.

So there it is, the method to my madness, I hope this addresses the question and gives a little glimpse into my thought process on why I chose the journey I did for this semester.

And so to all my friends studying abroad in lots of different exciting countries, I hope you all have an amazing time, and when we meet again in the spring you will have to tell me all the exciting places I need to visit later in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment